In my life I may have a little bit of a breakfast burrito addiction, they can totally be eaten for any meal. Seriously. So when I saw a post the other day about egg rolls with apples stuffed in them, I thought hey I want to try that with eggs, sausage and cheese. And also because I wanted to eat something that was an “egg roll,” traditional egg rolls have like cabbage and stuff in them and well cabbage isn’t really my thing. So I decided to try my hand at making breakfast egg rolls, and boy were they good.
I think next time that I would like to try them with chorizo though instead of regular sausage. I’m from Texas and well we love flavor here and I can see chorizo adding a little bit extra to an already good dish.
Here is how you can make your own Breakfast Egg Rolls, I don’t go into specifics on how to wrap them because on the package of the pastry it has the directions.
- 9 - Egg Roll Pastries (I found them at a local Asian Food Market)
- ½ lb. breakfast sausage or even chorizo
- 6 eggs
- Cheddar cheese - I do not put a specific amount because I feel like it is a preference.
- Oil of choice for frying
- Brown sausage in skillet
- Add eggs to browned sausage and stir until eggs are scrambled with sausage
- Add desired amount of cheese to egg and sausage mixture
- The pastry directions will have you thaw the egg roll pastries for two hours before you are ready to use them.
- Follow the directions on the pastry for adding the egg mixture and folding the pastry.
- Place enough oil in the pan to cover about half of the rolled egg rolls.
- After oil is hot fry egg roll for about 30 seconds on each side until the desired color (it doesn't take long for them to cook, I learned this from trial and error.)