When I was in high school I never heard of Early College High School. The main option in my area for education was public school. It seemed that locally the private schools stopped around 6th or 8th grade. You also never heard of anyone homeschooling. I really think that with social media and the internet homeschooling has really grown and become more common since I attended school.
But with my oldest starting 9th grade this year we had several options available to us.
- Public high school
- Private high school
- Early College High School
Lot’s of different options and at the fast pace of the world it’s best to choose sooner than later which route you will be taking for your kids education.
I could seriously breakdown each option and say why it’s great and name why it isn’t for us. But I will not bore you guys with an even longer list instead I will give you guys the reasons why my kids will be attending Early College High School.
5 Reasons to Choose Early College High School
- Opportunity – This is number 1 because it is an opportunity I can only dream that I had when I was attending high school.
- Scholarship – The school has given all of their high school kids a free two years of college. That will save myself and my kids a ton when it comes time to go to University.
- Time – They will have completed two years of college by the time they graduate high school and be ready to start either a career with an Associate degree or be ready to finish their Bachelors with nearly half of it done in transfer credit.
- Challenge – Their high school experience will be full of learning and keeping their brains challenged with new information.
- Options – They will have time to explore different fields of study while earning college credit and earning their high school diploma. No finishing their bachelors when they are nearly 30 because they switched majors a few times.
I know starting college as a Freshman in high school can be intimidating so while I made this choice for my kids years ago when I enrolled them in the local charter school that they attend. However, I am very confident in this decision especially after speaking to my oldest and getting his input. He has told me that he ready for the challenge and can’t wait for school to start this year.
Please be sure to check out all of our different posts on parenting.